New music radar: ten bands from the UK to check out

03:00

A few days ago, I expressed an opinion that could potentially be seen as controversial: I find current UK-only line-ups to be somewhat underwhelming and lacking in variety. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction, but it seems I only see two or three bands in the list of supports, as if no one was making an effort to dive into the pool of all the music the UK has to offer to take their pick. See, I understand times are hard. I have not lived under a rock for the past eighteen months or so, and I am aware of how irrevocably the COVID-19 pandemic has affected the music industry. I also suspect, just like many others, that the United Kingdom going forward with Brexit, come hell or high water, is going to have disastrous consequences on cultural events. Finally, I imagine that not every smaller artist can afford to go on tour at the minute.
That being said, more can definitely be done. I remember the early 2010s in the United Kingdom, when a lot of day festivals offered similar line-ups, and when bands often toured together and traded supports, but it still felt like there was more variety in the musical landscape. It never felt like a bunch of big bands, and a tiny pool of support acts. I would have never jumped on so many Megabuses if I had grown bored with the music the other side of the Channel was offering.
Because I do not like to throw controversial opinions on an industry I deeply care about without anything to back up my claims, here is a list of ten bands and artists hailing from the United Kingdom. Some have already been included in cool line-ups, some are all brand new and starting out, all should be thought about more in some not too distant future. 


After Reason


Disclaimer: I decided to write this list in alphabetical order, and it just so happens the first band has two of my good friends on its line-up. Simple coincidence. That being said, the reason I am recommending After Reason to everyone is not just because I will forever remain the untalented friend standing on the side of every room, but because their post-hardcore sound truly works for me. I remember spinning their first single, Hollow, released in September 2020, something like a million times, and it definitely was one of my favourite songs of the past year. In 2021, After Reason released a banging debut EP, Life Outside Your Head, giving me all the Alexisonfire vibes I could possibly want from music, and they are set to play a release show at the Pipeline, in Brighton, on the 20th of August.




As Everything Unfolds


I discovered As Everything Unfolds in a small venue, somewhere in High Wycombe, wherever in the world that actually was, and their post-hardcore sound has stuck with me pretty much immediately. I remember watching them again at Torquay's excellent Burn It Down Festival, in 2019, and following every release since. Every song they have is, quite simply put, in unpoetic terms, catchy as hell, with the potential to become an anthem you want to sing along to. The band's debut album, Within Each Lies The Other, came out this year, and they have recently been announced as main support on Holding Absence's upcoming European tour, in March 2022. (Do we have to call them European Union tours now?) I am so ridiculously excited about it.




Bleak Soul


For me, these past two years have been a time to learn how to broaden my musical horizons, which has meant paying attention to side-projects and solo ventures just outside of the borders of my favourite bands. This is how I found myself checking out Bleak Soul, a musical adventure started by Ben Langford-Biss, founding member and ex-guitarist and vocalist in As It Is. There are two impressive releases for the world to dive into: Existential Meditation, released last year, a debut album full of songs focusing majorly on mental health situations, as well as a bunch of singles in 2021, which caught my attention first. Sound-wise, I undoubtedly hear nineties influences, on the grungier side of the spectrum, mid-2000s emo, which I was always bound to love, and a sometimes ambient vibe. It feels like every song has its own, particular atmosphere, as if Bleak Soul's music could steer in any direction, even the one you don't expect it to-and I dig that a lot.




Decay


This is one of those: I literally have no idea how or where I found Decay, but now I have, I am here to stay, long haul and all. The four-piece's debut album, Staring At The Sun, landed in the list of my favourite music from 2020, and I think what I had to say at the time still sums up my feelings pretty well: "Every time I think nothing from the old island can surprise me anymore, someone comes along and punches me in the face. This year, it was Decay." I don't like comparing bands to each other, but if I had to, only because I am tragic at putting genre names on sound and "melodic post-hardcore" could mean different things to different people, I would describe Decay as the slightly heavier lovechild of Basement and pre-GLUE Boston Manor. They have been one of my favourite new bands last year, and I am super excited to follow what they'll be doing in the future.





Delaire The Liar


Delaire The Liar is a band whose unique name I would see everywhere on my social media for the longest time, and I ended up checking them out for the first time during the Taste Of Isolation livestream last year, when they performed a Paramore cover set. (A mutual love of Paramore's perfection might be a foolproof way into my heart.) I guess, if you want to be technical about it, Delaire The Liar falls under some sort of post-hardcore umbrella, but their vocals are wildly different from most other bands, and they are what drew me in. They have recently signed to Rude Records (which features amazing bands such as All Get Out, Young Culture, or Blood Youth on their roster) and are set to go on tour alongside Scotland's very own Vukovi later this year. Delaire The Liar's newest single, HALLOWEEN, is available everywhere and, in unpretty and straightforward terms, it is one hell of a banger.




Don't Worry


From 2016 to the end of 2019, watching my good friends in Evertim play, virtually, every venue in Brighton and around London has introduced me to plenty of amazing, lesser-known bands from the United Kingdom, bands I would have never come across otherwise, and Don't Worry are one of those, definitely the one I have followed the longest. An indie rock band from Essex, Don't Worry has something I love with every part of my raging emo heart- honest and emotional songwriting I can easily find myself in, the perfect blend of personal, mundane, and relatable in their words. Their songs have a similar energy to bands such as Modern Baseball and The Front Bottoms- you want to sing along in the crowd, happy and somewhat relieved everyone around you feels the same about the lyrics. I haven't seen Don't Worry live since Sticky Mike's in November 2016, there were quite a few misses and failed attempts, and I really hope I can fix it all in the future. 




InVisions


I have honestly no idea where I even found InVisions and how I came across their music. After that, I remember seeing a guy wear one of their windbreakers at a While She Sleeps show, then, seeing an ad for their merch line on my social media, recognising the windbreaker, and, since then, it seems they have been everywhere around me. (The windbreaker too.) If you like the melt-your-face type of heavy metalcore, InVisions is just the band for you. Real talk here: I have thoroughly enjoyed watching all my favourite heavy bands reach new heights in their careers and explore new sounds, often more electronic, but sometimes, all I want is to risk my life in a moshpit, choruses for days, and nasty breakdowns, and InVisions gives me all of that. They were one of many shows I had planned pre-pandemic, but never happened- until next time. The band has released a huge single, Gold Blooded, in May 2020, and they have also announced that their third album was mixed and mastered, so it shouldn't be too long until we get brand new material.





Lizzy Farrall


Lizzy Farrall might be the best-known artist on this list and, if you attend shows of the alternative variety in the United Kingdom or in Europe, you might have seen her play alongside bands such as Tiny Moving Parts, Can't Swim, labelmates The Story So Far, and Seaway. This is how I originally heard about her, but I fully jumped on board with her alternative-pop sound when she released her debut album in 2020, the excellent Bruise. What I truly love about Lizzy Farrall's artistry is that it comes accompanied by an entire package, and if you know my pop music sensitivities, you know how much I love it when sound comes with an aesthetic and a complete atmosphere. Listening to Bruise or Lizzy's music in general feels like entering someone else's corner of the universe, and I appreciate that a lot. (And Vincent Van Gogh references will never be lost on me.) She's announced as support on Set It Off's 2022 tour, and it should be a fantastic time.





Maypine


Just like Don't Worry and As Everything Unfolds, the reason why I have discovered the existence of Maypine was a show alongside Evertim in Guildford, in May 2018 and, believe me, trying to find that show on Facebook again was like sifting through a long list of misses and failed attempts. (There was sadly no amount of running down the road outside of Brighton's train station that could have got me to Sticky Mike's on time when they supported As It Is and Roam in December 2019.) Doing this, I am noticing that a lot of the music I tend to recommend is on the heavier side of the spectrum, as I guess you could also file Maypine under some sort of post-hardcore umbrella. The band's two latest songs, Repair/Replace and Roosevelt, both showcasing brilliant musicianship and anthemic qualities, were released in 2019, and they are playing Sometimes Fest in Eastbourne this weekend. Hopefully, this leads us to new music and more shows- fixing the failed attempts is overdue on my end.




Shaded


I remember seeing Shaded support Australian pop-punks Stand Atlantic in London, back in April 2019, but they truly caught my attention after one of my friends asked me to embroider her a tote bag with some of their lyrics. I don't like jumping into creative projects without knowing the songs, so I listened to their 2018 EP, A Familiar Love, and went from there. Their catchy kooks, their pop feel mixed with fun punk sounds and high energy got me on board, and they should most definitely appear on more pop-punk leaning line ups in future tours. They have released two EPs, _001 and _002, in 2020 and 2021, that see them explore new sounds and different influences, as well as a new single, My Nightmare, all soft, lovely, and acoustic, last week.




Obviously, I am aware that the United Kingdom has a lot more to offer than just ten artists- these are just a few that caught my attention and that I wanted to speak about. Don't hesitate to recommend me more- I'm always down to broaden my musical horizons, and maybe we can do one of those with a different list in the future! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments