Some special music in 2020, vol. 3

03:13

 As 2020 is nearing an end, it is time to review the albums I have vibed with the most this year. I had made a point and a resolution to keep in touch with music in the scene, as I am sure I have said before. I now find myself with too many albums to make a definitive list, but many things to talk about.
This is not a top anything. There is an album of the year, but that's about it. There are a lot of albums I really, really liked. Some I have novels' worth of content to talk about, some about which my feelings fit in a few lines. There is a little bit of everything.

Throughout the garbage fire that was 2020, I found myself drawn to positive albums. As I discuss somewhere in there, I believe positivity, especially in music, is a double-edged sword, because it's ever so easy to fall deep into the toxic positivity, "I am so disconnected from life so I will be telling you how wonderful life is, even though I know nothing about struggles" vibe. I found the sun, hope, and comfort I needed in albums that dissected feelings, explored the ups and the downs, in honesty, and in company. Strangely enough, despite seeing so many of my favourite heavy bands releasing music, I have not listened to -core bands as religiously and regularly as I usually do. But it's winter, accidental heavy metal season in my world, so, don't worry, I shall be finding my way back to screaming and breakdowns soon. Maybe I'll rediscover hidden gems. I am not purposely ignoring anything or anyone.


I Won't Fade On You
(Elder Brother, released October 2nd)

I started delving into Elder Brother's music because it is the side-project of The Story So Far's Kevin Geyer, and, if you know me around here, you'll know how thoroughly obsessed I am with TSSF. What I found were intricate, delicate memories paired with some of the most breathtaking vocals I have ever heard. The band has released a third album, I Won't Fade On You, this year, and it has the kind of vibe that keeps all the bad parts at bay. Listening to Elder Brother feels like engulfing the room where I am with warmth. It's truly lovely.


The Theory Of Absolutely Nothing
(Alex The Astronaut, released August 21st)

Every time I listen to Alex The Astronaut's music, I find it hard to believe how young she is, and how The Theory Of Absolutely Nothing is her first debut full-length. It's simply stunning. I jumped headfirst into the universe of an artist I knew nothing about, and I loved every minute of it. Her record, as well as her music in general, is a lesson in storytelling, all from such a unique and poetic point of view. She isn't afraid of touching on any subject, and all her songs find the perfect balance between honesty and subtlety. I Think You're Great was the soft, wholesome reminder that we are all doing great we needed this year. Alex undoubtedly is a gem.


Fracture
(Bleed From Within, released May 29th)

If you don't know already, Bleed From Within have been one of my absolute favourite bands for years, the happy accident I still don't understand when I used to be scared of screaming in songs and could just about stomach The Blackout and Bring Me The Horizon. They stormed into my life, and, from the first show when I thought I would breathe my last breath in Bristol, of all places, they have blown my mind with everything they have ever done. Fracture is, for lack of a better phrase, disgustingly heavy. Because "disgustingly heavy" could mean anything in this day and age, think old school Parkway Drive, but with whatever's in the air in Scotland. (Irn Bru?) These guys are one of the most underrated bands in the UK.


POST HUMAN: SURVIVAL HORROR - 
(Bring Me The Horizon, released October 30th)

Three words: Kingslayer featuring Babymetal. One hundred percent a top ten, God-tier Bring Me The Horizon track. There are so many Linkin Park vibes dotted around this album (EP, musical situation, whatever you wish to call it), and I am here for every second of it. It's great, and a reminder that the Sheffield lot can do absolutely everything and will never be where we're expecting them. (I just wish the Amy Lee feature was a heavy song, but, hey ho, personal taste and all that, and their softer voices mesh well together anyway.)


Staring At The Sun
(Decay, released July 10th)

See, there used to be a time when I believed music from the UK was the be-all and end-all. I think this belief died somewhere, leaving me somewhat hopeless about the future. (It's definitely just me) Every time I think nothing from the old island can surprise me anymore, someone comes along and punches me in the face. This year, it was Decay. Staring At The Sun is one of those records that make it hard to believe the band behind it is so young and only just starting out. They will one hundred percent be a band to watch as soon as, you know, we physically can.


All Distortions Are Intentional
(Neck Deep, released July 24th)

I have no idea why I always end up needing a little bit of time to fully appreciate the effort Neck Deep puts into the creation of their album and the era around it, which often has the same feeling as "eras" you can see in mainstream pop. (This is a huge compliment, meaning that an album is never just an album for them, and it comes with a whole aesthetic package, which I appreciate a lot.) I do love the nineties influences, I respect the way they always experiment, and Fall and When You Know are some of my favourite ND songs.


In Sickness And In Flames
(The Front Bottoms, released August 21st)

The Front Bottoms have always been a comfort band of sorts, and I am not too sure why. I don't know what I find comforting in their music, in the voicemails and the strange metaphors, but it all is, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. And maybe they have given us one of the most comforting and utterly positive songs of the year in everyone blooms. In Sickness And In Flames is the album of a band that, no pun intended, has bloomed beyond belief throughout the years, and have found the ultimate perfect way of remaining their weird little selves while evolving and becoming a bigger band. 



you'll be fine
(Hot Mulligan, released March 6th)

Hot Mulligan is one of the most recent additions to my musical landscape, and I am glad they are here. They remind me of old school, early noughties emo, which is one of my favourite things in the world, and it's a sound I'm always going to be looking for. I love that they're bringing back long, incomprehensible song titles with no connection whatsoever to the lyrics, and I adore that they can put so much pain and heartache in a song called Green Squirrel In Pretty Bad Shape. you'll be fine is fantastic.



Brain Candy
(Hockey Dad, released July 31st)

I found Hockey Dad when they supported The Story So Far in Prague, last year, and in about half an hour, I was hooked, and then annoyed because they weren't playing the other dates or the festivals I was going to. I was even more annoyed because I was meant to see them this year, but, you know. Instead, I got the brilliant Brain Candy, and the best way I can describe it is that you can undoubtedly tell it has been made by an Australian band. It has whatever is in the air down under, and at the same time, it has a solid Brit-pop vibe, but sunnier. Because everyone needs my metaphors and feelings, it's the perfect soundtrack to driving around in the sun. Maybe I should get a driving licence.


Cannibal
(Bury Tomorrow, released July 3rd)


Cannibal is a pretty straightforward banger of a record. Bury Tomorrow are kings at what they do, and have mastered the art of straight-up super heavy yet super catchy metalcore. Cannibal is no exception. It's the failsafe Bury Tomorrow formula, pushed even further and even harder. I love a band that knows they are brilliant at what they do, that knows where their strengths are, and utilise them to their full potential. I also love that they are opening the mental health conversation all over again, without bringing hopecore back. No one needs to have hopecore back.


Young Culture
(Young Culture, released October 16th)

I lent an ear to Young Culture because I heard quite a lot about them, and I think a part of me needed to know who they were to not get them wrong with all the bands that have either the word "Youth/Young" or "Culture" in their name. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but it was a solid decision on my end. The band's self-titled debut record is one brilliant piece of music. Young Culture isn't just another pop-punk band, though it is the closest genre to their sound. The pop influences aren't limited to "catchy hooks and choruses," though they have plenty of those. They include electronic sounds, a different vocal delivery, and pace (Fantasy), keyboards. Some songs feel like they could be huge, not just scene huge, but Billboard huge. 
I have the wrong geographical situation for my music taste, but I'll figure it out.


Pink Elephant
(Stand Atlantic, August 7th)

The Australians of Stand Atlantic have been one of the biggest storms in pop-punk these past few years, going from small pub crowds to sold-out venues and an almost-classic debut record in the space of three years. Pink Elephant was easily one of the most expected albums of the year, and it didn't disappoint. It retains the electric, contagious energy Stand Atlantic is known for, and pushes it towards something heavier at times. I could do with frontwoman Bonnie Fraser screaming on literally every song. I wouldn't mind. Songs like Eviligo start off all light and poppy, only to become much heavier in the last thirty seconds. Pink Elephant is fun, gritty, and takes you places you never expected Stand Atlantic to take you, and, really, it's all you could possibly want from a pop-punk record.





There were many more albums, and much more music, singles without albums, you name it. I loved so much stuff, and I don't even doubt I have forgotten a lot of things too. (I have already thought about two EPs I forgot about in the previous post, that's how much music I have listened to this year.) I like that I can't even remember everything that happened, because it means it was a rich year for music, despite the world (and the UK) telling us otherwise. I have gone about listening to records so differently from what I am used to, and it has made me, shocker, fall in love with music all over again. I didn't know that, but I needed it.
I don't want to hold out unrealistic hopes for 2021, because I want to protect myself from disappointment, but there is still music I am excited about in the next three hundred and sixty-five days.

  • First of all, one of my all-time, absolute favourite bands, Architects, are releasing a new album in February, For Those That Wish To Exist. It includes features from Parkway Drive's Winston McCall, Biffy Clyro's Simon Neil, and Royal Blood's Mike Kerr, and that is enough to get me on the edge of my seat, as are the first two singles, Animals and Black Lungs
  • On the 5th of March, Tigers Jaw are releasing the follow up to 2017's spin, I Won't Care How You Remember Me. The aforementioned spin is the album that put Tigers Jaw at the place where they are in my life, and June is one of my favourite songs on the planet, the kind I could listen to on loop and never get bored. The two newest singles, Cat's Cradle and Lemon Mouth, are everything I could hope from Tigers Jaw, and I have no doubt I will be spinning their new music through all of spring. And summer. Most definitely summer.
  • One band I never talk about, at all, ever, called Slowly Slowly have pretty much announced the extended edition and B-sides of Race Car Blues. Boy am I excited to cry in the fields.
  • I would hope that, following their banger of a most recent single, Coming Clean, and all the studio updates we got on Instagram, that Homesafe is cooking something special next year.
  • I kinda believe there are different types of adults in the scene. You either grow an obsession for Frank Turner, Enter Shikari, Deftones, or Weezer. Even though I have been a Weezer fan since I was a kid, I am definitely one of those. The Blue Album, the Teal Album, and Pinkerton have been some of my most played albums this year, and I want nothing more than FINALLY hearing Van Weezer

You Might Also Like

0 comments