Recap : The Great Escape, Brighton

04:25


Festival season is go! 




I am big on working at festivals. It all started when I volunteered at Download two years ago, and then, I have never looked back. Most of my festival work has been done through Festaff (which I would highly recommend if you are tempted yourself), so I decided to try something new and work for The Great Escape.
The Great Escape basically takes over Brighton for three days, and everywhere you go, there is a secret performance, a delegate with a complimentary "Music makes the world a better place" totebag or someone clutching a programme, wondering who to watch next.


As a volunteer, I was doing wristband exchange, which isn't rocket science, when you think about it. You scan a ticket, you rip the stub off, you put the wristband on the customer's chosen arm and voilà, you're done. If you're me, of course, you ask questions. You want to know how the person is today. You want to know if they are excited. You want to know who they are looking forward to watching (and you cringe when a man well into his fifties answers "only you, really"). You want to chat with someone about their Modern Baseball t-shirt. You want to know where they have travelled from. You love music so, so much that your own truth isn't near enough, you need to talk about what makes someone else vibrate too. You thrive off it.
And here is why I adore working at festivals.


I also got lucky enough to be sent to All Saints Church, in Hove, to work on the spotlight Oh Wonder gig. (The spotlight gigs are part of the festival, but at the same time, they are not and you need a specific ticket to get in). 
Main reasons I was delighted : 
  1. I love Oh Wonder.
  2. Church gigs are everything. (I was lucky enough to watch Jim Adkins in a church in London in September and it remains one of the most special experiences of my entire life)
  3. I was being trusted to do something special and different from everyone else.
  4. It was my first time working a real life gig.
I was scanning the tickets at the door, which was much more intense than wristband exchange, even at its peak. It also meant having to direct people to the right queue, and believe you me, so many people think they are God's gift to the world and the idea of queuing or not being allowed somewhere is sometimes infuriating to them. Oh, well. 


Considering my trip to Birmingham and the state of my health after said trip, I only watched three bands, four if you count the (beautiful) three Oh Wonder songs I got to listen to.


There was The Reigning Days, who were filling in for As Lions on the Kerrang Fresh Blood Stage at the Haunt. Their sound was massive and bold - think straight in your face rock à la Foo Fighters with hints of Muse or Royal Blood. Excellent set that got the crowd going in no time! 
(Side note : what the fuck happened to As Lions?)


There was my beloved Muncie Girls, whom I had already seen at Sticky Mike's in March. They were just as excellent and inspiring, their show was electric and I am more in love with the Exeter trio than ever. They are a band we highly need in this world.





And finally, there was The Xcerts. Twice. 
The first time happened in the back garden of the White Rabbit, in the North Laine, and it was an acoustic set - stunning, of course. The sound of the raindrops on the tarpaulin, the Pinterest board like setting and the feeling of being in a little bubble, awar from the clatter and noise of the pub made the half hour super special. I also teared up at Slackerpop. I'm confused. I had an array of sad songs to pick from and I picked the catchiest one. I give up. I'm just too emo for this shit.
The second time happened at the Brighton Electric, a recording studio, and having to ring the bell to get in felt like being invited to some sort of secret house party (with Sam Carter and Ali Dean of Architects, Lande Hekt of Muncie Girls and Ben Thatcher of Royal Blood starring as the cool people you're scared to look at). The set was electric this time, and despite having to escape the over-heated room for ice cold water during She and having to sit down during There Is Only You (sans piano) because I felt sick, I enjoyed myself and I wonder how on Earth these three still aren't the biggest band in the world. 






My second Great Escape experience was rainy, cold and exhausting, but most of all extremely enjoyable. Will I come back in 2017? You bet I will. See you at wristband exchange.

You Might Also Like

0 comments