2015 in music : the gig edition

16:16


The first half of 2015 looks completely calm and relaxed compared to the second half - I went mental and started embracing the infamous "yolo" motto to its fullest. 2015 from July to December included an almost full tour, more random gigs all over the place and the usual jumping in a Megabus thingy that I'm most known for. The only thing that didn't budge an inch was how emo I am. Most of these shows included tears. Lots of them.



JULY


The only thing I attended in July was the oh so famous T in the Park, newly moved to Strathallan Castle, in Scotland. My top three gigs of July is, technically, my top three favourite sets of the festival. The number one, without any shadow of a doubt or any sort of hesitation whatsoever, is Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. There was many an amazing moment but nothing will ever top being on a stranger's shoulders and sobbing my poor little heart out whilst Noel was belting out one of my all-time favourite songs, Champagne Supernova. The way he said "Thank you for making that song what it is, it's Champagne Supernova" still gives me goosebumps to this day. The singalongs were deafening. The entire set was one of the happiest moments of my entire existence.

2- Twin Atlantic at T in the Park. I'd always been eager to see Twin Atlantic in their home of Scotland and T in the Park finally gave me the opportunity to do so. It was raining cats and dogs, my left welly gave up when I went back to my tent, I probably got lost on the way back, come to think of it, but it was absolutely perfect. There's so much heart and soul (no pun intended) in that band that it's impossible not to be a hundred percent in love with them.
3- The Xcerts at T in the Park. They entered my life after Slam Dunk and by July I was hooked, playing There is Only You on repeat. Their set was outstanding and the girl leaning towards me, asking if I knew Aberdeen 1987, telling me it was her favourite song but she'd never seen them play it live despite seeing them eight times, and seconds later, Murray saying that "this song is about my hometown, it's called Aberdeen 1987" will always bring a smile on my face.

AUGUST


August was the month of lots of stupid things done, like jumping on a train to Brighton to see Don Broco do an acoustic set about three hours after seeing them do another acoustic set, and dragging myself and my camping gear to Brighton (again!) to see The Xcerts support Manchester Orchestra without a ticket. There's a slight chance August has shaped my decision of moving to Brighton. And my favourite gig this month was (unsurprisingly) The Xcerts at Dingwalls, London. They're just the loveliest, most perfect band, and this evening consisted of making friends, reuniting with old friends, seeing all of my friends, and doing a cry on There is Only You. On the anniversary of me sobbing my heart out to letlive. after realising the boy I liked didn't give the tiniest fuck about me, it was lovely to have a night that was perfect from start to finish - and it had to include an extra talented band playing a brilliant gig. Of course.

2- Don Broco at Hoxton Bar & Kitchen : Featuring all of my dad dancing and lots of sweat and the happiest little moment. I just adored that evening.
3- Manchester Orchestra & The Xcerts at the Concorde 2, Brighton : I'm still sad I couldn't stand up for half of Manchester Orchestra but it was a lovely throwback to when I was seventeen. Also, The Xcerts.






SEPTEMBER


September was the month of me starting to sob at every gig, it seemed. But my favourite was one during which I didn't cry (though I did cry after, because it was part of a tiny bit of a tour done and it was the last night). It was State Champs, Knuckle Puck and Roam at the Backstage by the Mill in Paris. Once again, it was a sweat fest and not much else (the venue said the air conditioning system was broken but I think it's the same all the time) and it included three amazing bands and mostly, the knowledge that the pop punk scene is finally growing in our country. Every gig goer in Paris knows the story of that Wonder Years show with thirty-four people in the crowd, including only fourteen people who had paid for their ticket, and it's a beautiful feeling to know things are finally looking up. It's about time.

2- Brand New at the O2 Academy in Sheffield. They played Déjà Entendu in full. I heard Me vs Maradona vs Elvis live. Enough said.
3- Jim Adkins at the Music Academy of Manchester (or something). Lead singer of my favourite band ever doing an acoustic tour that included a Cyndi Lauper cover and most of my favourite Jimmy Eat World songs? Yes please.

OCTOBER


October was the month when I did a big chunk of the Mallory Knox tour and then had to save up money to move to the UK. So it started off crazy, and then just went quieter. My favourite show is, of course, Mallory Knox (supported by Set It Off and The Xcerts) at the Roundhouse in London. None of that evening made sense, but none of the best moments do. I'll just say that seeing one of your favourite bands, composed of some of your favourite people on Earth, exploding, getting places and playing big venues is a feeling like none other.

2- Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! at the Divan du Monde, Paris : Nothing says home like Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! and that evening was simply iconic. (Review : here)
3- Moose Blood at Warped Tour UK : they're just outstanding and beautiful and were like a diamond on top of a big, fat, rock shaped day. (Review of the festival : here)








NOVEMBER


November was the month of me moving to the UK and experiencing London shows as "local gigs". After the thirteenth and the Paris attacks, the gigs got a special flavour, becoming more special and lived to the fullest once again. My favourite was Deaf Havana (supported by The Xcerts who refused to leave me alone in 2015) at the Islington Assembly Hall. I hadn't seen Deaf Havana in ages and didn't even know I needed to see them again, to have a dance and a sing along to their music again. That entire evening was a bubble of happiness. More of that in 2016, please.
(Review : here)

2- We Are The Ocean at the Islington Academy : they're just so disgustingly talented and I do not understand why they are not the biggest band in the world. (Review : here)
3- Light You Up at the Barfly : the first gig after the attacks, the one I started sitting on the floor, battling the tears, the one I finished with my jaw aching because of the smiling, the one that made the fact that live music is happiness on tap hit me like a brick in the face. (Review : here)



DECEMBER


December was a lovely end to a lovely year - lots of bands making it big and the promise of an even bigger 2016. My favourite was Moose Blood at the Hippodrome in Kingston, which was another bubble of happiness dipped in my tears at every fucking song. This band is one of the best things that happened to me last year and getting the chance to hear THAT album in full was the best Christmas gift.
(Review : here)

2- Don Broco at Brixton Academy : more dad dancing, more happiness, more bubbles, fireworks, palm trees, shit jokes by yours truly and white suits. (Review : here)
3- Lower Than Atlantis at the Roundhouse : another one of these gigs that will never, ever fail to put a smile upon my face. Cheers, LTA. (Review : here)



You Might Also Like

0 comments