#2 : A Lesson in Romantics by Mayday Parade

03:15

The thing I am most excited about this month is Mayday Parade's A Lesson in Romantics anniversary tour finally hitting the UK. Finally getting to hear what I believe is one of the most iconic and classic pop-punk records of the last decade in full will be, without a doubt, a treat.


A Lesson in Romantics is perfect from start to finish - let's not beat around the bush here. It is the snapshot of a time and of a place. 2007 was the year of enthusiastic side fringes, too much hairspray, guyliner and waistcoats over neon bright Glamour Kills t-shirts, and not many things from this era have stood the test of time. A Lesson in Romantics has. 
The catchiest songs (Jamie All Over, Black Cat, When I Get Home, You're So Dead or Jersey) are picture perfect power-pop tunes. They have the ability to make you bust a dance move or two, deliciously emo with a 2007 twist that would be completely inappropriate a decade down the line (the chorus to When I Get Home, You're So Dead, anyone?). The harmony and mixture between Derek Sanders' and Jason Lancaster's vocals is out of this world, a thing of beauty. Last but not least, A Lesson in Romantics has my favourite thing in music (I think) : a banging key change. The build up to the key change in Jersey gets me hyped like no other song does, and I truly believe you have to give credit to a band who can produce music that makes you that enthusiastic and excited. I would run a marathon is Jersey was playing along the way. (I wouldn't, but you get the idea)


In my opinion, what made A Lesson in Romantics stand the test of time is not just the fact it is opened by one of the best collection of absolute bangers pop-punk has to offer. (I now dare you to find me another album with such a flawless opening. I'll wait) 
It has also secured Mayday Parade a place in the hall of fame of bands that could write an excellent tearjerker. You all know where this is going. We are very obviously talking about Miserable at Best. Everyone has listened to it at least once, and chances are, if you know of Mayday Parade, even if you are not a fan, it is because of this song. Miserable at Best is a five minute long piano ballad about a break up. The storyteller and their significant other have called it quits, and he cannot get over her, cannot get over the fact that she has moved on and he hasn't. Who hasn't sung along to its chorus, doing both parts at once, pretending you could sing in tune? Who hasn't listened to it when they were heartbroken, tragically looking out of the train window under the rain? I know I have. I was in a Megabus eating 28p cream crackers instead of a train, but, same thing, really.


Outside of the catchy singles and Miserable at Best, A Lesson in Romantics offers a stunning collection of songs at are a times nostalgic, reflective, or make you feel like you are on top of the world. (That's Ocean and Atlantic for me. I think all hell will break loose when they play it on the tour) This album has a very specific sound that was never emulated, that stayed in 2007 with flying pigs and neon dinosaurs, but somehow, that made Mayday Parade one of the most important bands of this scene. Since then, their sound had shown a certain versatility to it, and every single one of their releases has been solid to say the least. They have proven time and time again that no one could tug on our heartstrings the way they do, and they have also released a stupid amount of pop-punk jewels, so incredibly satisfying to sing along to. They have, though, never sounded like anyone else, and no one has tried to sound like them, allowing them to keep their unique spot under the sun.


Mayday Parade have also always been one of my favourite bands to watch live. Their 2012 Slam Dunk performance remains one of the best I have seen. I remember them playing Miserable at Best, Derek sat in front of a tiny keyboard underneath a plastic white gazebo. They were clashing with the likes of Architects and Taking Back Sunday and yet, the tent was still full, filled to the brim with people enjoying every second of the show. Just before the bridge, Derek's microphone fell over. While it was being fixed, he kept on playing the piano and the crowd replaced him on vocals, giving the moment something utterly magical. 
You know me by now. I will always be there for a moment of magic. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments