An update.

07:04

I have been silent, I know. I haven't even written about every single gig I went to like I used to. 
I had reviews written for Twin Atlantic at the Barrowland and Yellowcard at the Concorde 2, and it didn't feel right.

I think that's the main reason I was silent - some of it didn't feel right. I felt like I was just writing half-arsed reviews just to not fall behind instead of concentrating on writing great content. I ended up publishing festival reviews two months late, they were terrible and my anxious, self-conscious brain hated itself. One resolution for 2017, maybe do this thing more seriously. (Also teach my brain to shut up, but that's another thing altogether).

While I was silent, I gave this little thing a makeover and created categories to make it easier to navigate (even for me, if I'm honest). Now, The Endless Novel looks all swanky and less blog-spotty. As a consequence, some of the reviews have a terrible colour/font/font size issue, but I'm working on it - I'm just a tiny human.

The categories are quite easy to navigate, too : 
  • Going Live is all the live reviews and festival recaps.
  • The Shuffle Chronicles is the shuffle project I'd started a while ago and completely fell behind on, but I'll start again, eventually. 
  • A Beginner's Guide and Monthly Fix will be started soon and meanwhile, they're still secrets (though their names give them away just a little bit).
  • The Emo is the personal stuff (where this post will end up)
  • Bands is the non-exhaustive list of bands I have written about with links to posts about them, if you fancy reading about your favourite band or something.
  • Think About It is a bin of thinkpieces, mostly about music.
  • Books is the tiny amount of book reviews I had published - I might get back on that as well.
I think this blog was becoming something I didn't want it to be - a long collection of half-arsed reviews. I definitely liked it better when it was more personal and diverse. Of course, music is the front, centre and back of my life, I don't think you need an update on that. Yet, it's not my only interest. I read an awful lot and want to write about it - there has to be something to write about when you read up to fifty five books in the space of a year. I also have a life outside of gigs and music - a lot of it is in my brain, and those are the hardest posts to write, but sometimes, the most rewarding. 

I am still inspired to write and I still want to carry on doing this.
It's just that I'm a mess.

Happy new year (if it's still socially okay to wish a happy new year on the twentieth of January). I hope 2017 brings you love and puppies. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments