Recap : Slam Dunk Festival

04:53


Spoiler alert : Slammy D, as always, proved to be the one and only.




So, I made it out alive.
I went to all three Slam Dunks. With afterparty.
Let me tell you, I have never, and let's emphasize on the NEVER here, been that exhausted in my entire life. I was ment to take the first train from Hatfield to get into London at 5 (yes, as in the AM) and then take the bus from Victoria at 8 (still in the AM). Let me tell you, I gave up and threw myself on the first train to Brighton, slept all the way (I actually fell asleep whilst eating biscuits and only remembered when I unpacked and found the half-eaten biscuits), dragged myself home and slept for roughly twenty-four hours. Slammy D, I love you with all my tiny emo heart, but next year, I'll stick to one, two max, thank you very much.

It was worth it, though. Slam Dunk, along with Download, is my favourite festival of the year and I was excited to walk around the stages, sing along to emo bands and catch up with all the friends I don't get to see the rest of the year. Slam Dunk is a time for rad hangs, as the cool kids say, and too much beverages of the alcoholic kind. Obviously.


BANDS I WATCHED :

 

  • Moose Blood (Leeds, Birmingham & Hatfield) - Are we even a little bit surprised that I have found a way to watch this lot three times in the space of one weekend? Yes, that's what I thought. As always, the delivery of a collection of stunning songs was delicate and emotional, and the crowd was so participative it was legitimate to ask if they shouldn't have been higher up on the bill (the answer is a resounding hell to the motherfucking yes). In Leeds, in the scorching sun, frontman Eddy Brewerton almost broke down in tears thanking the audience and guess who didn't just "almost" do it? Yes, this girl right here.



  • Roam (Leeds, Birmingham & Hatfield) - Speaking of bands that should have been higher up on the bill... In the space of half an hour, Roam managed to show why they are growing so fast in the pop punk universe. Their energy is infectious and bears the enthusiasm and eagerness I have always adored in them. Their lyrics are shouted by the audience, frontman Alex Costello graces the stage with a backflip in Leeds, and, all in all, I'd say it was a pretty successful weekend for the Eastbourne boys. The Haunt soon, please and thank you?

  • Young Guns (Leeds & Birmingham) - Anyone who knows me knows I love Young Guns. Since I first heard Crystal Clear six years ago, the London outfit has had my heart. When they were away in America following the release of Bones (2012), I was eagerly waiting for their come back. It's been roughly a year since the release of Ones and Zeros now, things are moving fast in the YG camp with the promise of the fourth full length Echoes at the end of the summer and the departure of drummer Ben Jolliffe (see that thing lying on the floor? That's my shattered heart). To tell you the truth, I have been left incomplete at the end of their Slam Dunk sets. Was it the energy on stage that felt different or the largely irresponsive crowd? I couldn't tell. It was a strong set, objectively, and I cannot fault them at all, but it didn't do anything for me this time. I'm confused.

  • Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! (Hatfield) - Can you believe I only made it to one of their sets on the very last day? At both Leeds and Birmingham editions, the Impericon stage was impossible to access, with queues for days. I ended up having to get there at the end of WSTR to secure myself a place. Despite the overwhelming amount of people donning Chunk merch on top of the queues, I wasn't prepared for what I witnessed. Since when are my local boys THAT big in the UK? The atmosphere was mental - moshpits and singalongs were impressive to say the least and frontman Bert Poncet found himself in the audience. Twice. Every song was an anthem (particularly oldie but goldie In Friends We Trust) and it is now clear that the Frenchies are here to stay. (I'm so proud of my boys. Go on, do some strawpeedoeing)



  • Mayday Parade (Leeds, Birmingham & Hatfield) - Just one phrase to describe the Floridians' performance at Slam Dunk : a whole lot of feelings. Their crowd was mostly there for the nostalgia, but they lived up to the hype that usually surrounds nostalgic sets by producing one that relied on their biggest strengths : dancey tracks (Black Cat, Jersey), a whole lot of emotion and just the right amount of new songs. Belting out 2009's I'd Hate to Be You When People Find Out What This Song Is About was the cherry on top of a tears filled cake. Bands, take note, THIS is how you do Slam Dunk.

  • Real Friends (Hatfield) - Oh how I love Real Friends. Yes, they have their own little story of mending a shattered heart and now being able to watch them without thinking about the person who broke said heart is, let me tell you, one of the best feelings ever. In Hatfield, vocalist Dan Lambton was sick and on the verge of losing his voice. Guess what? The performance was still stunning. When Dan can't reach the notes, he has an adoring audience to take over, and reaching such a level of communication with your fans is nothing short of spectacular. The rendition of I've Given Up on You still sends shivers down my spine. Bring on December.





  • Yellowcard (Birmingham & Hatfield) - The thought that I got to hear one of my favourite albums of all time in full is unreal, crying to Empty Apartment was unreal, dancing to Ocean Avenue or Way Away was unreal, the goosebumps every time Sean Mackin plays the violin were unreal, Ryan Key's story about how his father wrote the lyrics to One Year, Six Months in an anniversary card to his mother was unreal, getting to hear songs I never thought I'd hear live was unreal. Yellowcard gave me one of the most beautiful live moments I have ever witnessed in my entire life, and I will miss them so much I don't even have the words.




  • The Amity Affliction (Hatfield) - I love seeing The Amity Affliction live. Their songs, which are already immense on record, somehow manage to sound a million times more impressive and powerful. Opener Open Letter or closers Pittsburgh and Don't Lean on Me are sung by everyone with a passion only matched by the band on stage. There is so much interaction between the crowd and the Australians, as always. I don't mean interaction as in a band chatting and joking, no, no. I mean interaction in the form of a band a band who gives its all to an audience who gives its everything back. The best kind of exchange. The songs extracted from the band's future release, This Could Be Heartbreak, sound massive already, and, as was predictable, The Amity Affliction have stolen my heart. Big time.

  • Mallory Knox (Leeds, Hatfield & Birmingham) - Do I think Mallory Knox should have been higher up on the bill? Of course I do. Who do you think I am. Am I the only one? Absolutely not. The Cambridge boys are proving they are one of the best live bands of our generation and one of the finest British bands. Their songs are future anthems and were delivered with a force and enthusiasm that, without a doubt, can outshine any band who has been around for decades. This lot is going to be famous. Sure. (Am I proud of my boys? Yes, have fun strawpeedoeing. Did I cry? Do you even know me)



  • Four Year Strong (Leeds & Birmingham) - As one of my favourite bands since 2009, Four Year Strong were easily THE band I was most excited to see at Slam Dunk. They have always been one of my favourites to watch live and at Slam Dunk, they won the favourite of the weekend award, hands down. I blame the crowd, into it from start to finish, the perfect setlist and an enthusiasm from the Americans that never falters, even after four albums and countless tours. I am still speechless and overwhelmed. Hello everyone, get on it, stat.



  • The Starting Line (Birmingham) - Yes, I'll admit, I was one of those who just wanted to hear The Best of Me and sing along like it was 2003 and shark teeth chokers were still acceptable. I can appreciate that the set, overall, was on the good side, but there was way too much unnecessary keyboard and way too much of the "waiting around to hear that one tune" feeling to my taste. (And that was a week after seeing Wheatus in the exact same building)

  • Issues (Leeds) - Issues could have easily found themselves on the list of the best bands of the weekend, but Jesus Christ the crowd was godawful (and that was a lot of blaspheming on my end). Usually, I can look past it, and I can promise you the Issues boys were on top form, but the main thought clouding my brain was that apart from myself, Marie, the man singing along to every word including Tyler Carter's beautiful harmonies and the two guys unironically two-stepping on the pavement, no one seemed into it. Bar Issues themselves, that is. It's time to stop refusing to take them seriously and to start appreciating what they bring to the table.

  • Of Mice & Men (Leeds) - First of all, how about we drop kick whoever was in charge of the sound by that point? The speakers kept going off (up to five times a song at times) and it's really tough getting into a band's set when you keep sighing at the poor sound quality. Apart from that, whether you like them or not, you cannot really fault Of Mice & Men. They are extremely talented musicians, Aaron Pauley's stunning voice and Austin Carlile's screams go together like a house on fire and they have a long collection of heavy yet catchy numbers. You'll also be happy to know that I did an ugly sob fest at Second & Sebring. Everytime, man.

  • The Story So Far (Birmingham) - If, a year ago, someone had told me that I would get to a point where I was over excited to see The Story So Far, chances are I would have laughed in their face and possibly drop kicked them à la Parker Cannon. And yet, here I was, shouting the words back at said Parker Cannon and angry finger pointing like there's no tomorrow. (I also cried at Nerve. By this point, I don't even know anything anymore). The thing is, everything and its opposite has been said about this band, even by myself, and the bottom line is that they are a great live band and Parker is one hell of a frontman, really intense in his delivery and, according to Marie (long time fan who has probably seen them on a boat), he is also getting better at interacting with the crowd. It was definitely one of my favourite sets of the weekend. See you next time? Hell to the yes.
    (Have I dreamt the moment when Parker said "I fucked up but you're still here"?)



  • Panic! At The Disco (Hatfield) - It's almost been a decade since one of my school friends told me about Panic! At The Disco and I seem to love this band more and more with time. They are one of these bands I will see live or listen to and my love for them will hit me like a brick in the face at full speed. That's what Slam Dunk was. I could totally complain about the lack of old songs (where the fuck was Lying Is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off?), but I'd much rather marvel at the Bohemian Rhapsody cover or the impeccable set. Brendon Urie is most certainly one of the most disgustingly talented people of our scene, of his generation and possibly on Earth and seeing P!ATD was, as always, a pleasure.
    (Scratch Queen with Adam Lambert, I'm signing up for Queen with Brendon Urie with both hands)

ADDITIONAL NOTES


  • I ended up in first aid. Again. I fucked it. Again. This time it was for dehydration. At least, it isn't as ridiculous as slipping on an empty cup on your way out from a moshpit.
  • Did I walk past Memphis May Fire whilst they were playing and shout "Matty Mullins is a horrible person, I was talking about Matty Mullins the whole time"? You bet I did.
  • I heard The Rocket Summer performing Do You Feel?. THE MEMORIES.
  • I watched bits of New Found Glory and Dani and Davyd Winter-Bates' DJ set but I was so exhausted I barely even remember it. You could say I almost literally died for pop punk.
  • Marie and I almost met Parker Cannon. If you'd told me, etc.

You Might Also Like

0 comments