Live review : Moose Blood (Islington Academy, 15.04.2016)

11:44


A flight and a complete change of weather later, I find myself in rainy London to see my favourite rays of sunshine - Moose Blood.





I have seen them twice since this little blogging adventure started, so you don't need me to go over how much I love them, or how I think they are one of the best things that have happened to me. You know. But here's another proof. For future reference. Or something.


The evening starts with Irish duo Greywind. They have recently started making some serious waves in our scene, thanks to their powerful sound and their frontwoman's powerful voice. The venue sadly isn't full when they take the stage, but they manage to convince the early goers, myself included, and it is quite hard to believe it is their very first tour. Let me tell you, they are off to a very good start.
(PS : Was it Alfie Scully from We Are The Ocean on the bass? Your girl here needs some serious answers)


Another support band, another Irish outfit - say hello to The Winter Passing. I had already been stunned by their explosive performance at Brighton's very own Hope and Ruin in January and was very excited to see them perform again, as a fan this time. As I had been the first time, I was very impressed by the Irish - they sound just as brilliant on their biggest ever show as they had done in a Brighton bar that serves vegan chips with sauerkraut. The mixture between Kate Flynn's delicate voice, Rob Flynn's grittier vocals and the ever so powerful melodies is, once again, what does the trick, and rest assured, The Winter Passing have me on board.

Oh, Moosey B. (One day, I'll revert back to "Moose Blood". Not today). 
You know.
You know how, at the Kingston show, I cried from beginning to end. You will therefore not be surprised that it is what happened again at the Islington Academy. I seem unable to attend a gig without trying to add to the oceans overflow, these days. Sorry, planet, I'm too emo for you.





It's not just the songs, even though Anyway never fails to make me tear up, and I was sobbing so hard during Cherry that someone asked if I was okay. It is the charm that emanates from these four guys, the fact that they can't quite seem to believe all those people are here for them, opening moshpits and shouting every word so loudly they'll lose their voices in the morning. It is the sweetness and the way frontman Eddy Brewerton explains to us that Cherry is about "the little one" he has at home and Pups is about his father.

From the very beginning, they have struck me as one of the sweetest and most genuine bands out there, and it is what made it so easy to fall in love with them - that and how easily relatable their lyrics are. Anyway perfectly sums up my childhood memories with my own mum, and, scattered here and there, some sentences hit home hard or represent things I yearn for. (Hello, Gum, closing track, official tearjerker and surprising host of the night's biggest moshpit)

The setlist is mostly composed of tracks from the band's debut album, the ever so sublime I'll Keep You In Mind, From Time To Time. We are also treated to an early song, the lovely Girl, which saw people on their friends' shoulders, shouting they'd be someone's Noah like their life depended on it, and two new songs. One was introduced by Brewerton as being about his father, and the other one was the absolutely stunning Honey, recently released as the band's newest single. Have I listened to it on repeat since then? You bet I have.

It feels pretty obvious that Blush will send Moose Blood to new heights, and in case you doubted it, first, how on fucking Earth, two, I'm in for the ride and I'm in forever. Not many things make me as happy as these four's music, their beautiful live performances and their simplicity.





This is yet again another love letter to Moose Blood.
Dear all of you,
I, a person who would give everything to write for a living, am at a loss for words to say how much I love you. I keep saying you make the world a better place, but mostly, you keep making my world a better place. That's all. Thank you.

(Other words : Supporting Lower Than Atlantis at the Roundhouse // Playing I'll Keep You In Mind in full at the Hippodrome)

You Might Also Like

0 comments