Live review : The Dear Hunter (Bleach, Brighton)

10:14


Life is tough, but thankfully, live music exists.





It's not just a case of the world has exploded again. It's a case of the consequences of the explosion are still here, and little bricks keep adding themselves to the pile and I don't really know how to clean up the mess anymore, and I want out, and I need a way out.
And live music is that way out.

It's raining when I head to Bleach, and dear everyone who was there, yes, I was the person who looked like she'd just been in a washing machine. That's what horizontal rain does to naturally puffy hair. Oh well.



I get there just in time for local band Seats and their indie sound. It's obvious they are young and in the early stages of their career, and it's what I liked most about them. I liked the youth, the innocence, the enthusiasm because you get to be on a stage and play to people, and the fact that it always makes the frontman cram all the things he can think about before every song. I like that spontaneity, the one that made me feel old when he asked if anyone was a student ("this song is about being a student, and beans"), the one that made me laugh because "Anyone's ever been to Volks? Because that song is about it". Music wise, I liked the indie sound, and I could picture myself dancing on a field with a can of lukewarm cider in my hand to their music, yet at the same time, it still fit in with the sweaty, DIY feel of Bleach. See you next time, boys. I'll be there.




The main support of the evening was Grumble Bee, who is in fact not a band but a project led by English musician Jack Bennett. What can I say? It was frankly excellent. I don't like comparisons and I clearly do not like saying that this band is for fans of this other band, but there was something in Jack's voice that reminded me of a certain James Veck-Gilodi of Deaf Havana, a melancholy in the music that reminded me of Deaf Havana too, come to think of it, and something in the melodies and the harmonies that made me think of Muse. Deaf Havana meets Muse sounds odd if you put it that way, but it totally worked when it comes to Grumble Bee, and I simply had a great half hour listening to Jack's music. That was a lovely set, there is a lot of talent lying in there, and I'm eager to hear more. You see, sets like these are the reason I like small gigs, there is something less half-arsed that what you could sometimes see at bigger gigs. There is more enthusiasm, and sometimes more passion. And that's all I require. Jack, thank you.





I first stumbled upon The Dear Hunter when I saw them squeezed in between The Xcerts and Manchester Orchestra at the Concorde 2, in August. It could have been a hard task for me getting into them as they were playing right after one of my favourite bands and just before the loving memory of my teenage years, but I simply loved it, and I was glad to see them play Brighton again.

I'm bad at describing genres, you know. I can't watch a band or listen to an album and say "oh, yeah, this is indie rock with psychedelic influences". I can only say that this band reminds me of this or that. The name of the genre holds little meaning to me. I don't know what genre The Dear Hunter officially are, but in my mind they sound somewhat indie, but remind me of progressive metal bands such as TesseracT. Why, HOW, you ask. The progressive metal part is the fact that they have intricate melodies (though they are purer and simpler than the ones of traditional prog metal bands), three guitar players and some sort of etheral atmosphere. Yeah, that's the word. Atmospheric. Light. Ethereal. Makes you feel like you're floating. Even during the catchier, dancier numbers. The indie part mostly comes from the lovely, delicate harmonies.





There is so much talent in The Dear Hunter, as well. It takes a lot to make one feel like they are floating on air. It takes absolutely stunning, goosebumps inducing vocals. The harmonies are not only lovely and delicate, they are perfect and sound delightful. The musicianship is brilliant too - once again, I am not one for technical terms, I think I was just impressed by the melodies and the vocals and the harmonies and the way it all merged together to produce this little bubble of calm. And so much talent, so much tiny little perfect elements thrown together, it makes for a beautiful, lovely evening with a great atmosphere.

It's one of these gigs, you know, during which everyone is delighted to be here, and in a way, you feel connected to the people around you, even though you probably will never see them again. We're all sharing something special, because believe me, that gig was something special.

I feel myself being horrible at words, but it's the hardest task in the world putting words on what is indescriptible. I'll just stop embarrassing myself and say that The Dear Hunter are an absolutely stunning band and that if you have the chance to see them live, grab it, it's something unique. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments