Live review : Speak Low If You Speak Love (Garage, London)

04:08


After weeks on missing out on London gigs, I managed to go to one, and boy, was it a good one.





Speak Low If You Speak Love is the stunning acoustic side project of Ryan Scott Graham, bass player of pop-punk heroes State Champs. Just before his band was set to support Neck Deep all across the UK, he squeezed in a couple of acoustic shows, including one in London, and, spoiler alert, I am very grateful for that.









Support came from Liverpool based WSTR, whom I'd already seen support my beloved Light You Up in November. They had struck me with their energy and enthusiasm, and these qualities still inhabit their acoustic set (their first ever, I believe). They open with a Drake cover that get a few people singing along, but the best of the crowd participation happens during their own songs - which, I think, is a brilliant sign. In my opinion, acoustic sets are a great way for bands to demonstrate how talented they are and to show off their songs under a different light, and it's mission accomplished for WSTR. I'll stick around. I like you.







Second up is Boston Manor from Blackpool. I had heard an awful lot about them, as they seem to be one of these up and coming bands everyone seems to be raging about, but I had never listened to their music nor seen them live. Last Friday night fixed this, and I am more than happy it did. Quite simply put, I fell in love very quickly and very hard. I adored the emotion, how raw, pure and simple it was, and it hit me right in the feelings. They also treated us to a lovely cover of Brand New's iconic Jesus Christ, which got the crowd singing along and demonstrated Henry Cox's amazing vocal range. I am 100% sold. I'll stick around, I like you too.











My friends had told me to listen to Speak Low If You Speak Love for all the feelings I would get, and they had warned me that when I started, I wouldn't really be able to stop. They were quite right, and it only seemed natural to me to give myself the chance to hear the lovely tracks out of Everything But What You Need live. Ryan opens with Eight Weeks, my favourite song out of the album, and quickly I understand that this night is going to shatter my heart in a million of tiny little pieces, and then put it all back together. The crowd starts quite quietly but becomes increasingly more involved as the night goes on, and the singalongs on songs such as Adjacent or Tiny Furnace are frankly impressive for such a small venue.









On stage, Ryan proves to be entertaining and a great storyteller, making the audience easily laugh with the story of him supporting Expire and Four Year Strong. These are the kinds of stories I like to hear. Dear everyone on a stage, please tell me how awkward it was to support heavier bands and please make me laugh. I know you're happy I'm here. The rest I don't know.
I was swept off my feet for a good hour or so and I cannot wait for Ryan to release more music and come back on our windy shores.


You Might Also Like

0 comments